Practice Area Lead – Davis, CA
West Yost provides high-quality client services in water supply, water and wastewater treatment, groundwater, stormwater, and recycled water. Our professionals provide complete water engineering, science, and technology services from nine offices in California, Oregon, and Arizona – bringing innovative and collaborative approaches to deliver higher value projects and programs.
We are the largest engineering firm located solely on the West Coast, providing services only to the water sector. Our staff includes certified or registered professionals in civil, mechanical, chemical, and electrical engineering; water and wastewater treatment planning and design; geology, engineering geology, and hydrogeology; architecture; GIS; land surveying; control system cybersecurity; and construction management and inspection services.
The Practice Leader we are seeking will have the desire to drive our capabilities to new heights by working directly with clients and team members to lead advances in the practice of Infrastructure management in our communities. This leader would have strong experience in capturing and delivering projects, developing and/or nurturing client relationships, and mentoring and managing staff.
This position will provide valuable support to the Infrastructure Business Sector Manager by assuming leadership of a team of staff in practice area related to the Sector: including staff development, workload planning/tracking, growth and profitability, quality control, proposal preparation, business development, and fostering good overall team morale and positive client relationships.
Other duties include:
- Attracting, retaining, coaching, developing, and motivating staff to reliably deliver and provide excellent service to our clients.
- Being an important communication point for staff to help the Business Sector Manager better maintain the pulse and morale of the team.
- Preparing and conducting technical review of staff, reports, correspondence, calculations and preparing technical recommendations.
- Mentoring engineer staff on technical matters and procedures and acting as a technical resource. Establishing and maintaining technical and professional expertise in one or more specialty areas at levels beyond staff engineer and becoming a technical resource to other staff as well as external clients.
- Acting as project manager or team member on major design and construction support efforts. Effectively directing projects from planning through completion. Keeping timely track of project progress, schedule, and budget. Monitoring project scopes; requesting contract amendments whenever appropriate.
- Establishing and fostering client relations and developing proposals and budgets. Meeting with clients to determine recommended project scope, estimating staffing requirements and fee.
- Using technical knowledge to develop technical studies/reports and designs.
- Working closely with other engineers and managers to balance workload demands amongst current staff. Making recommendations to senior management as to additional staff and resource needs. Assigning staff and other resources, working with other managers to balance overall company workload and best utilize personnel.
- Direct preparation of and providing quality assurance for plans and contract documents for construction of improvements within specialty area.
- Being vital to the day-to-day execution of project work and maintaining focus on key objectives and milestones for the practice area as determined by the Business Sector Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in in Civil/Environmental Engineering.
- 5+ years’ experience in civil engineering consulting or engineering management.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to lead, manage, work with others, mentor and support a team.
- Ability to establish trust and commitment both internally and externally with clients.
- Strong computer skills with the ability to learn new methods and programs.
- Must effectively communicate with all project team members.
- Master’s degree in in Civil/Environmental Engineering.
- Emphasis on environmental/water resources engineering.
- Proven ability to managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
West Yost Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employee owned, and offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.